Try these age-old tried-and-tested tips on weight loss that have stood the test of time:
- Your body needs all types of essential nutrients in the right proportion in order to function properly. Thus it is not recommended to omit altogether any food group from your daily diet. However, you can limit the consumption of certain foods or substitute them with healthy alternatives.
White foods like white flour, sugar and white rice contain high amounts of unwanted carbohydrates, which can easily cause weight gain. So either control your intake of white rice and white flour or eat whole grain breads and brown rice.
- Switch to low fat powder milk or skimmed milk. Low fat daily products are not only a rich source of calcium but also are low in calories. So you get all the health benefits without adding any extra pounds.
- Adopting a positive approach and setting realistic weight loss goals is necessary. Instead of focusing on negative aspects of your diet like fighting the temptation of junk food, concentrate on the positive elements. Repeat and remind yourself of the results and benefits that you will accrue from losing weight. Do not aim to lose more than 2 pounds a week, since this can prove to be very unhealthy for you.
- Cooking methods can also make a world of difference. Avoid methods like deep frying, which make elaborate use of oil. Instead use healthy methods like baking and grilling.
- Fruits and vegetables are relatively low in calories as compared to grains. So incorporating fresh fruits and raw vegetables as much as possible in your daily diet is a good idea.
- Exercising regularly is definitely compulsory if you are serious about shedding extra weight. Walking for a minimum of 45 minutes on a daily basis will help you to cut down on those unwanted calories. Also make it appoint to take a small walk of approximately 15-20 minutes before mealtime. This will not just help you to burn the calories but also suppress your appetite.
- Studies indicate that if you eat properly in the morning, you will feel less hungry during the evening. Now wonder, breakfast has been given the credit of being the most important meal of the day. Eating in the morning also ensures that you burn more calories as you carry on with your daily chores.
- It is advisable to finish off your dinner by 7:00-8:00 in the evening. Eating very late in the night is not advisable, since this increases the amount of your overall calories. Also, avoid snacking late in the night, or you may face the risk of putting on an additional 300 calories a day.
- Incorporate high satiety foods and negative calorie foods in your daily diet. They will not only help you to lose weight but also prevent weight gain in the first place and keep your hunger cravings appeased for longer periods of time.
- Dole out smaller servings of food portions and spread your meals evenly throughout the day. This will increase your body metabolism and help to burn the fat deposits easily.