Making trips t the grocery can be a fun way to do especially in trying to prepare healthy foods for your family. It will also be an easier experience if you will have a set plan already before going to the place right away, and chances are you will bring home healthier choices for your family. With the list in your hand, you won’t likely make the mistake of wandering around and not knowing what to buy and what not to.
The following details below are 10 of the most important things that should be included in your grocery shopping list. These suggestions will not only save time and money but will also secure the health of your family.
- If there is one thing that should make up the largest part of any healthy grocery list, it would be fresh veggies and fruits. They absolutely have vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, and they are definitely low in calories. Everybody needs five or more servings of fruits and vegetables everyday, this is at the most. It is important that you choose a variety of veggies and fruits that each member of the family will surely enjoy.
- Whole grains should be what most of your grain and cereal products. For this important part of your healthy list whole grain breakfast cereals, whole grain breads, and whole grain pastas should be included. Remember that whole grains are essential for minerals, vitamins, and for fiber, nutrients that are not usually found in modern diets now-a-days. It is always best to read labels and look for the one with 100% whole-wheat or 100% whole grain, this will give you the assurance that you are getting what you are looking for.
- Fish, poultry and lean meats and other meat choices should be your source of protein. Other sources of good proteins include nuts, seeds and legumes, and eggs. Choose frozen but unbreaded and fresh meats and fish. Foods that are breaded, and convenience foods that are deep fried and that you just put in ovens are usually high in sodium and fats.
- When it comes to the thirst quenchers, simple is always reliable. Low-fat milk, juices, water, and herbal teas are definitely and surely good, if not the best choices for a healthy diet. This act will surely be free from extra sugar.
- When it comes to dairy products, it is wise to include yogurt, low-fat milk, and cheese. It would be better to opt for cow’s milk but if you happen not to like the taste, there will always be soy and rice beverages, goat’s milk and cheese, and calcium-fortified juices, particularly orange ones.
- Put attention also to condiments, cooking oils, and dressings. These products actually have sneaky sources of poor quality oils and refined sugar. It is again wise to read labels and choose those dressings that are made with canola oil or walnut oil or olive oil. A low-fat mayo for your sandwiches will also prove to be the best.
- To have a convenient way to keep vegetables on hand will be to choose frozen foods. Prepared meals that you can just pop into your microwave or even the simple oven are also available. Just choose those with low fat versions and with good portion sizes and you will be on your way.
- Canned foods and those placed in jars can also prove to be convenient. You only need to look for those that are low in sodium like veggies, soups, and sauces. Stay away from high-fat gravies and those foods that are high in calories; like ravioli products and canned spaghetti.
- For your choice of sandwiches, having them with peanut butter or any other nut butters, coupled with sliced roast beef or low-fat turkey can be great too. Avoid choosing and buying those which are processed, like hot dogs, sausages and meats.
- And finally, do not ever attempt to load up those desserts or treats that are high in calorie. It will always prove to be the best decision if you will rather choose healthy nuts, seed, whole grain crackers and fresh fruits.
It is never hurtful to be particularly careful about the choices we make especially if it involves the welfare of our family.