Eye doctors are urging consumers to be scrupulous about
cleaning and care of your contact lenses following reports that
a Taiwanese student lost his sight after microscopic insects
ate through their eyes.
The story, which went viral on social networks this week,
described how Lian Kao, 23, reportedly did not remove their
limited wear, disposable contact lenses for six straight months
and even He took them to swim.
As a result, the amoeba was put on his glasses and a tunnel
through their corneas, causing permanent damage leading to
blindness in both eyes. The error of a single cell, called
Acanthamoeba can survive in tap water, swimming pools and hot
“While an amoeba hole in one of cornea is certainly an extreme
case, we want people to realize the importance of using contact
lenses as prescribed,” said Dr. Tim Hillson , president of
physicians and surgeons of Ontario. “Because they are used
directly in the eye, contacts create an environment that could
lead to infections, corneal ulcers and, in rare cases,
opportunity to penetrate
Hillson said contact lenses reduce the amount of oxygen
available to the cornea, which causes excess blood vessels to
grow – the body’s way of supplying oxygen and nutrients to the
eyes. Using lenses overnight compounds the problem seriously.
“These cells, when not getting enough oxygen, which are not as
healthy as usual and are more susceptible to infection,” said
ophthalmologist Tuesday Orillia, Ont., Where he practices. “So
there are some bacteria cling to the contact lens and have the
opportunity to penetrate the cornea.”
Despite having amoeba infect the eyes is a rare event – Hillson
said he had seen a similar case years ago, while a resident in
training -. Highlights the importance of using contact lenses
as prescribed and keep them clean
“Most people do not get Acanthamoeba. Generally, common
bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus or other skin organisms
. so things are not usually weird and wonderful as this, but
they are common and can still hurt corneas. ”
“Losing the eye completely, which is rare, but you could have a
scar on the cornea that affects your vision and do not correct
to 20/20 anymore.”
If the eyes look red, feel pain or have a sticky secretion,
which could be signs of infection that require medical
attention, he said.
Hillson said it is critical to disinfect lenses overnight,
preferably using one of the commercially prepared cleaning
solutions containing chemicals that destroy microorganisms.
“They have to go out every night and the slogan we use is:” If
in doubt, take it out, ” ‘he said, advising that users contact
lenses See a pair of glasses feel While the use of their eyes
to give a breather.
“in general, people who do not like taking your contacts out,
usually is a vanity thing. Just he did not like his glasses.
However, a big, red, sticky eye is not exactly appealing
either. So that’s worth remembering. “
The Canadian Press