“Paatkoekies” tastes lovely and can be prepared very quickly. There are only a few ingredients that go together perfectly. South Africans have been enjoying this lovely recipe for many, many years…
I remember when I used be a child, playing outside, taking part in sports after school, competing against other schools on Saturdays. It was great, something I will never forget. After all of these activities, my lovely mother used to always be there. We used to work up a very big appetite and she used to bake and cook permanently!
But I would never have it any other way. One of the things we loved eating at any time, was “plaatkoekies”. They can be very filling and tastes great.
When you serve “plaatkoekies” use a little bit of butter while it is still warm so the butter can melt and then add some marmite or syrup. If you really want to treat yourself, add a spoon of cream!
1 cup of milk
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
A pinch of salt
1. Beat the milk and egg together.
2. Add the sugar and beat very well.
3. Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to the mixture and stir well.
4. Let the mixture stand and rest for about half an hour.
5. Add about 6 spoonful of mixture in a pan with hot oil and fry on both sides. The “plaatkoekies” are ready to be turned over when air bubbles appear on the top.
The nice thing about these “plaatkoekies” is that you do not have to add the sugar. If you can’t eat sugar, simply leave it out. It won’t taste that much different!
Serve them warm and enjoy. I love these easy recipes, not too complex to follow and quick to prepare. You can enjoy “plaatkoekies” as a main dish or just as an appetiser.
You have to try this. It really tastes great and everyone you know will love it!